Animal Obituaries

From ANIMAL PEOPLE, June 2007:
Fat Paws, dachshund companion of Blue
Cross of India chair Chinny Krishna and C.P.
Ramaswami Aiyar Foundation director Nanditha
Krishna, died on May 1, 2007 in Chennai. Known
for sitting upright on his hind legs and flapping
his forepaws like a penguin’s wings, Fat Paws
was among the first participants in the Blue
Cross of India’s “Dr. Dog” program.

Rose Tombe, goat “wife” of Charles
Tombe, of Juba, Sudan, died in early May 2007
after ingesting a plastic bag. Rose originally
belonged to a man named Alifi, who in February
2006 caught Charles Tombe having sex with her. A
council of elders ruled that Tombe had “married”
Rose, and ordered him to pay Alifi a bride price
of about £25, reported the BBC and the Daily

Wee Wee, 1, an orphaned goose rescued
by Todd and Sherri Hulse of Marys-ville,
California, frequent companion of neighbor
Amanda Thomas, 8, was shot by another neighbor
on April 21, 2007 after landing in a freshly
planted rice field–but the field did not belong
to the shooter, reported Rob Young of the
Marysville Appeal-Democrat, and the farmer did
not authorize the shooting. The Hulses had
posted signs saying “Please do not shoot the pet

Anastasia, an 18-month-old white Bengal
tiger, was killed on May 6, 2007 at the Alabama
Gulf Coast Zoo in Mobile, Alabama, by cagemate
Rajah, 3, who was more than twice her size.
Anastasia had only been introduced to Rajah and
Rani, a sibling pair, six days before the
attack. She arrived at the zoo as a former pet
whose keeper died.

Whooping Crane #615, the sole survivor
among 18 cranes who flew from Wisconsin to the
Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge in
Florida behind an ultralight aircraft in fall
2006, was on April 30, 2007 found dead in the
Halpata Tastanaki Preserve, where he had spent
the spring. In February 2007 the ultralight-led
flock were penned to protect them from a storm,
but a lightning bolt killed 17 of the 18,
leaving only #615.

Daphne and Buster, a female pan-tropical
spotted dolphin and a male Atlantic spotted
dolphin, died suddenly at the Florida Gulfarium
on April 22 and April 24, 2007, respectively.
Both arrived as stranding cases–Daphne after a
Girl Scout troop found her near Port St. Joe in
1999, Buster after washing up near Clearwater
Beach in late 2005. Daphne worked in a
swim-with-dolphins program; Buster performed in

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.